What is the most important part of Halo? The online matchmaking playlists. You could also argue shooting aliens and junk but I DIGRESS! 343 Industries is pegged with the difficult task of trying to pinpoint what the Halo fans want across four different Halo games in matchmaking. The problem is that in this moment you can’t just say “ALL OF THE PLAYLISTS!” for The Master Chief Collection because then you’re spreading the community too thin across them. So they really have to hit their marks on these playlists to please a lot of the fans. As a fan myself, I think they have a pretty good system worked out as of now. Some popular game types such as Team Snipers, Shotty Snipers, and Griftball will at times pop up as their own playlists as well.
You all didn’t click the link to read me drone on and on, so without further adieu — The List.
- Team Halo 2: Anniversary
- Play a mix of Team Slayer and objective game types on re-mastered maps. 4v4.
- Halo 2: Anniversary Rumble
- Challenge seven other opponents on re-mastered maps. This is your fight and yours alone. 8-player Free-For-All.
- Team Halo 2: Anniversary Social
- Play with a team in unranked Team Slayer and objective game types on re-mastered maps. 5v5.
- Team Slayer
- Eliminate the enemy team across four Halo games: Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo 2: Anniversary. Nothing but Team Slayer, 24/7. 4v4.
- Big Team Battle
- Battle it out in 16-player warfare with vehicles across Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 4, and Halo 2: Anniversary. 8v8.
- Halo: Combat Evolved
- Play a mix of Slayer and objective game types in Halo: Combat Evolved for the first time on Xbox Live. 4v4.
- Halo 2 Classic
- A mix of the most popular Team Slayer and objective game types from the original Halo 2. 4v4.
- Halo 3
- A selection of fan-favorite Team Slayer and objective game types from Halo 3. 4v4.
- Halo 4
- A mix of Team Slayer and objective game types from Halo 4, on a selection of small to medium-sized maps. 5v5.
- Team Hardcore
- A collection of tournament-approved game types from Halo 2 and Halo 3. The Battle Rifle is your primary weapon. 4v4.
- Halo eSports
- The official Halo eSports playlist. 4v4.
- SWAT (Rotational)
- SHOOT THEM IN THE HEAD! A collection of SWAT game types on our favorite maps from Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 4, and Halo 2: Anniversary. Players have no shields and are equipped with rifles. 4v4.a
343 told IGN that “a lot of fan favorite playlists will be appearing in the rotation as featured playlists, so those of you who love Multi-Team,Team Snipers, Team Doubles and others need not worry even though you don’t see them listed here.”
What do you guys think of the launch day playlists? It looks pretty solid to me. My personal favorite is Big Team Battle. I hope they really picked all the best maps across the four games because there will only be one right now. Whats missing? What are you most excited about? Tell us in the comments or tweet @APGNation or myself @elfizz